South Jordan City or “SoJo” is nestled in the Salt Lake Valley between the Wasatch Mountains on the East and the Oquirrh Mountains on the West. Downtown Salt Lake City is approximately 18 miles from SoJo and the Salt Lake Regional Airport is approximately 19 miles away. South Jordan is proud of their beautifully maintained City. SoJo is currently the 5th fastest growing City in the nation and was voted one of the “Top 20 best places to live in America” in 2010, 2012, 2014 according to Money Magazine.
Air pollution is a public health and environmental concern in the State of Utah and everyone plays a role in fighting it. That is why, this October, South Jordan City passed Resolution R2019-58 or the “Idle Free South Jordan” resolution.
This decision follows Gov. Gary Herbert’s 12th Annual Governor’s declaration for “Idle Free Utah,” the State Legislature passing HB148, a “Vehicle Idling Revisions” bill, and at least ten other cities who have endorsed idle free practices by either resolution or ordinance.
South Jordan is committed to the health and well-being of residents. Simple things, such as turning off the car instead of idling, can reduce harmful pollutants.
Residents and visitors to the City of South Jordan are encouraged to reduce idling of vehicles by not idling a motor vehicle more than one minute with the following exceptions:
- The vehicle is forced to remain motionless on a public road because of traffic conditions.
- The vehicle is an emergency vehicle used in an emergency situation.
- Vehicle idling is necessary for auxiliary power for law enforcement equipment, refrigeration units, loading/unloading lifts, well drilling, and or farming.
- Vehicle idling is necessary for repair or inspection of the vehicle.
- The health or safety of a driver or passenger requires the vehicle to idle, including instances where the temperature is below 32 degrees or above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
The resolution is meant to encourage responsible reduction of idling in vehicles and is not enforceable by citation or fine. Compliance is voluntary.